Explore Indian Streets

A blog by Vasant

Scroll Down
Saturday, October 6, 2018

Unexpected conditions Shirley Falls: Travelogue

It was late night when the thought of going to Shirley Falls hit my mind. Shirley falls is at a distance of 13 km from Yellapur, Karnataka. Yeallpur is famous for hills, valley and water falls. Shirley is one of the falls.

I have been to Yellapur many times but never visited Shirley.

The Shirley falls is near to the highway. Being near to the highway I considered it to be easily accessible. See the map below.


 Map: Shirley Falls on the Hubli - Karwar Highway.





Me and My motorcycle
Me and My motorcycle. Note this pic is not from this trip. 
I recently had got the motorcycle serviced and equipped with new engine oil, new tires and tube. Mind you the motorcycle is 17 year old.

Many people ask me why you ride this old bike? I reply with a smile "I enjoy riding this bike."  Some understand majority doesn't, they think I am crazy. I move on.


The Journey Day:

At 8 am got started with the rituals, i.e, filling the petrol, checking the air etc. Crossed Hubli border by 8:30 am, the weather was pleasant.

A note regarding Hubli-Karwar Road:

The Hubli - Karwar road being a single lane highway is smooth and well marked. The road is being expanded near Kalghatagi City, so had to face lot of dust and traffic.

I am a fan of Uttara Kannada roads. Uttara Kannada receives more rainfall, and is a hilly terrain. But the roads are maintained in good shape.

Okay, back to the journey now 😉

Reached Yellapur by 10 am, had breakfast. There are no food outlets near the falls so make sure you carry some food with you.

By the time we had breakfast the rains started, got the chance to use rain coat. Finally, headed towards Shirley Falls.

There is a entry fee of 20rs per head.

Unexpected condition:
I had in my head that the falls was easily accessible, but turns out completely opposite. The road is difficult than that of the Sathodi Falls. Read my travelogue to Sathodi falls.

Had to trek a about a km or so to reach the falls, the trek involved crossing a bamboo bridge it looked scary.



The water flowing below the bamboo bridge will later come down into the falls.

Alas we arrive at the falls.



Best time to visit Shirley Falls: 

The best time to visit Shirley Falls would be Monsoon Season. To be precise, July to October. If you want to see rocks, instead of falls then do visit in Summer. 

Spent couple of hours at falls and headed back to Hubli.
A stopover when riding towards Hubli
While heading back to Hubli found shade after Kalghatagi and stopped over. Engine was demanding some rest. The road to the left goes to Dharwad and other to Hubli.

Next planning a cycle trip to a place in Uttara Kannada District. Yes a cycle ride! Message me on Instagram, if you want to ride along with me. Instagram id: nomadvasant

Follow me on Instagram, Stay tuned . I promise I will not spam you guys.

Peace,

Travel, Stay Happy, and never stop learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© All rights Reserved. Theme Designed and Developed by Vasant